Thursday, August 24, 2006

Kickoff, Tipoff, First Pitch...whatever

Welcome to The Wishbone. This is a blog about sports.

The title comes from that oddball football offensive scheme, the wishbone. For a sample wishbone playbook, check out the Indiana Wishbone Association site. That will give you a visual representation of the wishbone triple-option offense, but it's really as much a philosophy as a set of plays. Here's a nice homage from Texas Monthly: "Like many great works of art, the wishbone was equal parts genius, plagiarism, and luck....a combination of simplicity and duplicity, brute strength and sleight of hand,....[Y]ou don't have to be sophisticated -- just good." I hope some of that applies to this humble enterprise.

I'm using the nickname "King Bee," although that's not my real name. I'm not trying to stay super-anonymous here, but I don't want this site to be the first thing Google tells you about me. I will tell you I'm a lawyer in the mid-Atlantic region. I went to Duke undergrad, so I'm a big Blue Devil fan. But growing up in ACC and SEC country, I feel like I got the best football in the fall and the best basketball in the spring.

I expect to have more posts about college football and college basketball than any other subjects, but I won't artificially limit myself. I'll try to post on whatever interests me. Sometimes that will mean longish posts (like the next post, my first substantive one), and sometimes shorter. If you have a short attention span, I won't be offended if you skim. But don't count on a lot of NFL, MLB, and NBA posts. I'm sure I'll have some here and there, but I don't follow the pro sports as closely as the college ball. I'll let my co-blogger introduce himself at his leisure, but I'm sure he feels free to post about anything that strikes his fancy, too.

I'll probably write with an assumption that most, if not all, of my readers have some basic sports knowledge, a "SportsCenter" level of knowledge. For example, I doubt I really had to explain the source of the title. So I won't always be extra-precise about details, and I won't take the trouble of identifying, say, Charlie Weis as "University of Notre Dame Fighting Irish head football coach Charlie Weis." But feel free to seek clarification.

I'll be adding links as I find more sports sites. Please suggest your favorites. Also, please feel free to email me with suggestions or requests if you'd like to hear my opinion on any sports-related topics. Thanks for checking out The Wishbone, and please tell your friends and come back often!