Friday, December 08, 2006

Make Mine Texas Sized!

The University of Texas broke ground on its new stadium renovations today by starting to destroy its North endzone. Once the $176 million project is complete, UT will seat over 90,000 orange clad Texans doing their shadow puppet routine. The renovations should put Texas up with the big boys as far as seating capacity. The project also includes a long list of other amenities. Your facilities are now obsolete, everyone else!

My reaction is why wasn't this done sooner? The UT program is kind of a mystery to me. They are highly successful, have a huge student body, have a huge alumni base, and have more money than anyone outside of the educational super elite. Yet, their stadium seemed outdated, seating only 80,000. I've seen some photos of other current facilities and they are plush. Which made me wonder why they don't have a gigantic stadium. I guess they are now agreeing with me. Those boosters, at $68 a barrel, can afford to build whatever the hell they want.
New Stadium? How about a hoverdome? Yeee Haw!