Friday, August 25, 2006

Wha's Goin' On On This Side?

As this is my first post ever as a "blogger," I hope those who wander onto The Wishbone will be patient with me as I get my bearings. I want to thank the King Bee for inviting me to post at his site. I have wanted to post my musings on a blog for some time now after reading the generally superb work of Orson Swindle, Paul Westerdawg, and Kyle King, but I doubt I will ever be able to match their efforts. I suppose that is enough bouquets.

Just so you know where my heart belongs, I'm a Georgia grad. I'm a devoted and borderline obsessed Dawg fan. I haven't, however, always been a Dawg. I grew up in Minden, Louisiana the descendent of a long line of LSU alumni. (My poor father was president of the LSU Alumni Association while my brother was attending Texas A&M and my sister was at Alabama. After I went to Georgia, I'm sure he caught hell from all sides.) As such, I grew up a devoted and borderline obsessed LSU fan. I can even remember my roommate at boarding school, a lifelong UGA fan, keeping the headline "UGA pounds LSU, 31-10" taped up on his desk for a year to taunt me.

Even while attending Georgia, I was still more of a Tiger fan, which worked out fine because LSU and Georgia didn't play each other. That is until my senior year when the two teams met in Baton Rouge. My then girlfriend, now wife and I got into the biggest fight of our relationship up to that point or after when she thought I was not acting "neutral" as I had said I would.

I eventually severed all ties with LSU after attending the UGA-LSU game in Baton Rouge in 2003 when I finally determined that I had become more of a Dawg than a Tiger. I don't really like the new power LSU of 2003 and beyond. I much preferred the goofy, delinquent, underachieving LSU teams of the Archer, Hallman, DiNardo years. I just somehow had more fun then. Plus, I think LSU fans don't really understand how someone could go to any other school and not be somehow defective, making fitting in here in Shreveport, Louisiana, where I now practice law, awkward. It doesn't matter if the person went to UGA or Harvard, to them LSU is better. I suppose we all feel that way about our school, we just don't make it so obvious.

In any case, I'm a Georgia fan and a SEC man. I love Southern football, from D-1AA teams to the big boys. I look forward to pouring over the season with you and the King Bee.