Thursday, November 02, 2006

Off to Knoxville & Weekend Picks


I'm leaving for Knoxville in the morning, so I probably won't be around to post much this weekend. My Dad, an ardent but reasonable LSU alum, is letting me tag along for his trip. He's never been to Neyland Stadium before. I hope he leaves Knoxville happy. I'm not sure if I'll be wearing purple and gold for the game, but I'll be sorely tempted. We'll be eating ribs and seeing orange by tomorrow afternoon.

In tonight's battle of the Big East, I'm going with the Mountaineers. Last year's Sugar Bowl wound still hasn't completely healed, so I'm hoping that WVU proves that they are good. Louisville has some horses, too, but the WVU spread with Pat White and Steve Slaton is like quicksilver. Both those guys are blazing fast. Sure, WVU can't pass, but who cares if you're running all over people. WVU in a shootout, 48-38.

In SEC weekend action, I don't think we're in for any big upsets, so I like Bama and the jean shorts. In the competitive games, I like LSU, Arkansas, and Georgia to all win, but I think all three of those games are close. LSU is just due for a decent road perfomance and they've had two weeks to prepare. I say they will be ready and get a rare win in Knoxville. Arkansas is just too physical for the Cocks and I think McFadden runs wild. SC will score some points, but not enough to win. The 'Cats and Dawgs will play a surprisingly close game with both offenses making big plays. Georgia's defense, however, is slightly better (although you wouldn't know it from their games against mediocre competition). Georgia gets the win, but we'll sweat it out in the fourth quarter.