Sunday, November 12, 2006

You Think the Hype is Bad Now?

In case you hadn't heard, Ohio State and Michigan play this weekend. ABC and ESPN are already running "Game of the Century" promos, just like they did for the other "Game of the Century" earlier this season when Ohio State played Texas. I can understand the hype for this game. It's #1 vs. #2. It's a historic rivalry that is one of the best in college football. But, I draw the line with the ridiculous babble I heard on the Sports Reporters this morning. Usually, I avoid the show because I can't stand to listen to Mike Lupica. Somehow Lupica missed the show this morning, so I decided it might be possible to enjoy the show. This thought was quickly dispelled when the writers all agreed that Michigan and Ohio State should play this weekend and then play again in the BCS Championship Game because no other one loss team was better than the loser. (They did briefly discuss the possibility of an unbeaten Rutgers.) I immediately broke several pieces of furniture.

If the SEC Champion has only one loss and a one loss Michigan or Ohio State team gets in over them, the conference should disband. A one loss Ohio State team would have one victory over a Top 25 team (at #11 Texas). A one loss Michigan team would have a victory over two ranked teams (at #6 Notre Dame and #12 Wisconsin). A one loss Arkansas team would have four wins over ranked opponents (#3 Florida, #9 LSU, at #15 Auburn, and #22 Tennessee). A one loss Florida team would have three wins over the Top 25 (#5 Arkansas, #9 LSU, and at #22 Tennessee).

Look, I can understand that the Big 10 gets beat up unfairly at times. But, I don't think I will get too much of an argument that the conference is mighty top heavy. A Big 10 team plays what amounts to one, maybe two meaningful conference games. Everything else is a walk for the big boys. The BCS should reward competitive conferences.

USC also has a better resume than the loser of this weekend's big game. They would have beaten three ranked teams (at #5 Arkansas, #6 Notre Dame, and #17 Cal).

I'll enjoy the big game, but I don't want to see it twice.