Thursday, December 28, 2006

The View From Shreveport

I admit it, I left when Bama was down 31-17. At that point it looked like they weren't going to score 20, much less tie it up at 31. The Okie State fans next to me kept saying that their defense wasn't good, but it held Bama at bay most of the game. Besides, Bama got back it the game in the 4th with special teams and a brilliant trick play to Andre Smith. Frankly, Oklahoma State just looked like a better team out there. Bama's offense never really looked sharp. OSU's Bobby Reid made good throws and Savage savaged Bama's run defense.

I know the Independence Bowl takes a lot of heat, but it really has had some great games recently. Mizzou had a huge comeback last year to beat Spurrier and the Cocks. Nebraska collapsed against Ole Miss in 2002. The snow bowl between Mississippi State and Texas A&M is an overtime classic. Plus, the bowl has really upgraded its facility from a few years ago. But then again, I am on the foundation, so I guess I'm biased.

Oklahoma State will be a good team next year. They return a load of starters. The offense is exciting and Bobby Reid looked good tonight. Their defense may be questionable but it, just like their whole team, is young. I was also impressed by their fans. They were out in force. Georgia opens next year against the Pokes and I think that will be a nasty opener for the Dawgs, especially with a rebuilt offensive line.