Friday, January 05, 2007

Big Baby & the Lady Dogs


I'm going to Baton Rouge this weekend for a co-ed double header. Tomorrow night Glen "Big Baby" Davis and LSU take on Connecticut. ESPN's basketball gameday crew (did you know such a thing exists?) is scheduled to be there. I won't be behind the stage, but in a way I wish I could be. I'd love to smack Jay Bilas in the head. As for the game, I have no idea who should win. Connecticut to me draws up images of nameless, faceless basketball clones directed by Jim Calhoun's thought patterns. I can't name one player on their team, but I know they are good because they are always good.

LSU might not be the best team in the country, but they are fun to watch. Big Baby is a wonder down low. He's actually a defensive tackle, but LSU has too many of those already. The PMAC should be rocking for the game. Here are two things I'm looking forward to:

1. I can't wait to see John Brady's face in compressed disgust after Tack Minor turns the ball over with two minutes left, down by 1.

2. My uncle is a rabid LSU basketball fan and he really gets into the game. The first time my niece went to a game with him, she turned to my aunt crying and asked, "What's wrong with Daddy?" So, I'm in for at least one meltdown over a blown travelling call.

Sunday, however, will be different. My Dad and I follow women's basketball. (Yeah, I know, it is a sickness.) Dad says the women still play basketball the way he used to, meaning below the rim. LSU hosts the Georgia "Lady Dogs." The Lady Tigers are led by Sy Fowles, who I'm pretty sure is a guy. She's long, she can score off the floor, and she's a shot blocker. In any case, they are playing my girls from UGA. The Lady Dogs are not very deep, but they are scrappy. Fowles and Tasha Humphries should be a battle of the Titans down low. Georgia's guards are good, but they can go cold at times. I'm not sure they can penetrate for scores effectively if they aren't hitting the threes. I'll be the only guy in the place cheering for Georgia, so be sure to listen for my barks when they score. I may even ask Andy Landers to sign a tin of pomade for me.

By the way, the name Lady Dogs is not lost on me. It is an unfortunate moniker for our women's teams. But, what are you going to do, bitches?