Sunday, January 07, 2007

The View From Baton Rouge

At least Saturday night was fun. LSU struggled early, but eventually found an offensive attack in the second half. Neither team looked especially impressive. They both looked sloppy and didn't shoot especially well. For a team as big as its frontline is, LSU didn't rebound especially well either. UConn seemed to dominate the boards, but the box score proves me wrong. LSU looked like they weren't going to be able to handle UConn's quickness in the first half, but the Huskies completely fell apart in the second half. They didn't shoot well and turned the ball over repeatedly.

Glen Davis didn't have a super game, but he did have a couple of scores down low where he put a move on every UConn player and made them all look stupid. Big Baby is a wonder. He's huge, but he can move, he can shoot, and he can catch seemingly any entry pass no matter how errant.

LSU needs another player to emerge. Last year it was Tyrus Thomas. This year, I don't know if they have anyone who can take the pressure off Big Baby. The Tigers will do fine during the SEC season, but I don't think they make a big push in the tournament.

Memo to the LSU student section: The reason the Cameron Crazies are interesting and hated is because they are smart, funny, and original. LSU's student section sounds like they are still in sixth grade with chants of "You suck!", "____ is gay!", and "A--hole." Those were taunts I used when I was 12. Get some original material. Otherwise, LSU is a great venue for college basketball. It's loud and they have a great, great band.

Today's game was a completely different atmosphere. While I enjoy the women's game, the crowds that go to the game are completely different from a men's game. There are so many little girls at the games that the cheers aren't as much cheers as high pitched squeals that drive dogs away.

As for the game, (I'll keep my analysis short as I'm sure only my Dad will even read this paragraph) LSU struggled to shoot the ball for the entire first half. When Tasha Humphrey got two quick fouls in the first half, I thought LSU was going to kill us. But the Dawgs played some tough defense. Even though UGA played Fowles tough, she still got her points. Sy Fowles is by far the best female center I've ever seen. She's Shaq in a dress. The second half was a lot of fun, but the Dawgs let it slip away in the end. I'm not one to tell Andy Landers how to do his job, but I don't get why the Dawgs played Megan Darrah so much during crunch time. We seemed to do well with Humphrey and Angel Robinson in at the same time. Darrah just makes me nervous any time she has the ball, especially down low. The Dawgs get LSU again this year in Athens and if the Tigers play like they did today, UGA will beat them.