Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Oh, The Places You'll Go

My Aggie brother called this morning to report he had lined up a trip to Lincoln, Nebraska for me to see his Ags take on the Cornhuskers. I'm pumped. I've always talked about going to non-SEC stadiums to get the feel, but rarely acted upon it.
Nebraska's Memorial Stadium has a great reputation as one of the holy shrines of college football. The fans are supposed to be great and really know their football. I've even heard they applaud the visiting team as it comes off the field. There is one thing I'm not looking forward to, though: corn fed Husker women. I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see Lincoln in the same league as Oxford, Athens, or Tuscaloosa.

The game has gotten me thinking about where else I'd like to see a game. I've been to almost every place in the SEC except Gainsville. (Frankly, I can miss it, but its reputation alone means I have to go there at some point. On the bright side, I won't see UGA lose there.) The obvious answers are places like Michigan, Penn State, Oregon, Ohio State, Notre Dame and the Texas-OU game in Dallas. But, aren't there some other, smaller venues that would be fun? I thought of Boise State and the Army-Navy game in Philadelphia. One of the most fun games I've ever been to was when UTC played Marshall (led by Jim Donnan) in a I-AA game in Chattanooga back in 1993. The crowd was small, but vocal and witnessed a big upset as UTC beat the No. 1 ranked Thundering Heard. Terrell Owens caught four touchdowns for the Mocs. Also add West Virginia to the list just to see how far fans can descend into madness. I've never smelled a burning couch before.

Where else am I missing? Where do you want to go before you can't climb the ramps anymore?