Friday, August 31, 2007

BCS Predictions

I tried this last year, and they were so bad I'm ashamed to even link to them. Yet I remain undaunted. Here we go again.

National Championship: USC (12-0) v. West (By God) Virginia (12-0). I wouldn't be thrilled about this matchup, but it's how I see this thing going. I think all those SEC teams will cannibalize each other, Texas has too many tough road games, and Virginia Tech will lose at LSU. I think this year's big BCS "controversy" will be the margin between an undefeated WVU and a one-loss SEC team. In the end, while voters were content last year to pick their idea of the most deserving one-loss team, I don't see them jumping a one-loss team over a solid undefeated team. Still, I don't think the Mountaineers have enough defense to hang with the Trojans, so I guess I'm jumping on that bandwagon and picking USC to win it all in a shootout.

Rose Bowl: Michigan (11-1) v. Texas (10-2). Unable to get the traditional Pac-10 v. Big 10 game, I think the Rose Bowl will pick Texas. The Longhorns like going to Pasadena, and I think they'll bring more fans and tv viewers than any of the other possibilities (except maybe Florida). Also, I would love to see a game between these two great powers who don't play each other often enough. Anyway, I think it's a tossup but I'll pick Michigan.

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma (12-1) v. Wisconsin (10-2). So yeah, I think the Sooners will win the Big 12 and return to the scene of last year's best bowl game. They'll be ready for the Statue of Liberty this year and will wear down Wisconsin. Oklahoma to win. Still, I think the Badgers are a solid sleeper pick.

Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech (11-2) v. Florida (10-2). This is going to be a fascinating season for the Hokies, no matter what record they end up with. They'll be compelling to watch, and will have so much to play for every week. Still, they're not good enough to beat LSU in Baton Rouge at night next week, and somewhere along the way QB Sean Glennon will go haywire and cost them a game. But they're good enough to win the ACC this year. Florida is better, though, and will win the Orange Bowl.

Sugar Bowl: LSU (12-1) v. Louisville (10-2). I'm really only picking this matchup because I think the Sugar Bowl gets last pick this year. Not that Louisville isn't a decent opponent for the SEC champion, but I don't think they'd travel as many as, say, Wisconsin or Oklahoma. Like I said, I think a one-loss LSU team will get a lot of chatter about a playoff going, but this year I think they'll have to settle for winning the Sugar Bowl, and I'm picking the Tigers. I think they'll be very good, though, and the schedule is favorable -- except for that whole playing-in-the-SEC thing. Florida last year showed just how hard it is even for a great team to get through unscathed. If LSU does that, I have no doubt they'll be playing for the title, and probably winning it.

Okay. Check back in January to see how badly I did at prognosticating!