Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Programs are for Suckers: An Ode to Game Notes

I'll admit that I am tempted to buy or save anything that commemorates my attendance at a big game, actually, any game. I save ticket stubs. I love getting the crap that they pass out at baseball games, like free crappy velcro wallets or terrible, nonabsorbent towels with a stiff, abrasive corporate logo on them. I take pictures. I save my souvenir cups.

That being said, I am not a big program buyer. This is because since the widepread use of the internet by SID departments, I can get the same load of useless information without forking over my six dollars. Before you recoil at the idea that I would celebrate the saving of six bucks while spending hundreds of dollars each on tickets, hotels, and transportation, please hear me out.

Each school's SID department compiles and publishes copious notes for the media who attend their upcoming game. To show off their work, the athletic department publishes the notes on their website. These media notes are filled with every stat imaginable and bits of obsure information that only the truly sick fan can appreciate. For example, did you know that Ed Orgeron's TV show is named "The O Show?" Or that LSU has not had a turnover in two consecutive games for the second time in the Les Miles era? Once you read all this crap, you'll know more than the beat writer covering the team.

Game notes do contain valuable resources you may need during a game. They always have depth charts, usually for both teams. The depth charts are usually on a single page, maximizing convenieince and speed of knowledge when, for example, the opposing team is running all over you despite the anonymity of their players.
"Honey, who is number 10 and why can't we tackle him?" - Wife

Plus, there are no ads in the game notes, unlike those glossy programs. If the game notes get soaked in spilled coke flowing down from three rows up, you don't care because they were free. If so inclined, one can recycle the game notes. Also, each team's SID department puts out game notes, so you can see the game from both perspectives.

But beware. Some SID departments are overstaffed. For example, I looked at Colorado's game notes for last weeks game. They were 43 pages long. LSU's game notes for this weekend's game are 53 pages. If you run into to such a problem, cherrypick. You probably aren't interested in everything, so you can just print out the pages you need.

Go to your schools official website and get your game notes now.