Thursday, September 21, 2006

Weekend Picks - September 23

I'm heading to Athens this afternoon for the big SEC - Big 12 Showdown between Colorado and Georgia. This game looked really good last year since Colorado had won its division and hired a supposed wonderboy coach in Dan Hawkins. Today, it looks like a snoozer. Colorado has problems on offense and sports a decent defense. Georgia's defense has looked great, albeit against three tomato cans, while Matt Stafford is progressing on offense. Frankly, I'm excited to go back to Athens, but this game looks much less competitive than when I told my wife we should go because it could be a close game. At least Colorado is bringing this thing for me to look at before the game and during halftime:
In all seriousness, I am pretty excited to see Ralphie. She's one of the great live mascots in college football, along with UGA, Mike the Tiger, and Auburn's bird. Here's a good story on life with Ralphie. The Dawgs win, 27-3.

Alabama at Arkansas - Does anyone else who is not a Bammer or Hawg really ever think about this game? I follow the league pretty well, but I couldn't tell you anything about this series. I always seem to ignore this game. Two red and white SEC West teams playing early in the season on a nondiscript weekend. It sounds like a scrimmage. That may be a shame this weekend because these are two teams that are hungry to prove themselves. Both teams struggled to get by Vandy and haven't looked great against any team of substance. Knowing these teams, however, you can expect a physical game filled with good defense and lots of running. Mitch Mustain has looked good at times, but Bama's defense should knock him around. Bama has reverted to the Gene Stallings era so far this year, winning by 3 and reliant on a dominant defense. I think that formula wins again Saturday, Bama 17-10.

Notre Dame at Michigan State - Michigan State always gives the Domers problems. Notre Dame got embarrased last weekend. Michigan State got a solid win last week at Pitt. I think these facts, and the fact that State is playing at home, leads to the conclusion that the Spartans win a shootout 35-31.

I tried to find another game of interest on the schedule, but there weren't many good ones.

I'll have the scene from Athens next week. Kickoff is set for 12:30 EST, which is the worst kickoff time going. Damn you, Jefferson-Pilot, err, Lincoln Financial.