Friday, September 29, 2006

Weekend Picks - September 30

I'm heading to The Grove this weekend. Ole Miss is the last SEC West team that I will cross off my list. I've always heard such good things about the place, so I'm eager to see it for myself. ESPN2 has ensured I will see a lot of the Grove because kickoff isn't until 9:00 EST. I hope I will remain upright and awake for the duration.
Alabama at Florida - This sounded so much better last year. The Gators lying in wait, looking for revenge for the beating they received last year. But the Tide has seen much of its luster from a year ago wear off. The Tide still has a solid defense, but it's not like the defense that laughed at Urban's spread last year. Bama needs turnovers and a great day out of John Parker Wilson against a rebuilt UF secondary. I don't think it happens. UF, 27-13.

Ohio State at Iowa - The Hawkeyes are fired up for this one, but they need more than yelling fans. Troy Smith is the difference in this one. Buckeyes, 31-13.

Georgia Tech at Virginia Tech - Blacksburg is a nasty, nasty place for the opposing team, but I think the nerds can challenge Virginia Tech. The VT offense will struggle to figure out Tech's defense and will allow GT to hang around in this one. Reggie Ball better hope Calvin Johnson can play because the nerds won't score much without him. In the end, the Hokies pull it out, but its close. Virginia Tech, 20-13.