Thursday, November 16, 2006

Sharp Dressed Coach


To me, a coach should only wear one of two outfits to a game. One is a coat and tie. The other is a uniform. Which is why I am excited that the NFL has allowed coaches to wear a suit for this weekend's games. I miss Tom Landry roaming the sidelines in a baby blue jacket and a fedora. Say what you will about comfort, but a coach in a suit looks like he is at the helm, a professional counsel to men. Those awful warm up suits makes the coach indistinguishable from the "get back" coach. A head coach should stand out as a leader and as a dresser. How am I to tell the difference between Phil Fulmer and Trooper Taylor from the upper deck if they are both in the same orange warm up suit? (I can actually think of a couple of ways now that I think about it.) Anyway, a man should wear either a tie or a uniform to work. Business casual has made this country soft. Of course, a coach should avoid the combination of tie and sweatervest, lest his ethics erode.