Friday, August 31, 2007

Week 1 Picks

From King Bee's Hive:

It looks like Quinton and I will have the same record after this week. I'm glad we're not officially picking the Duke-UConn game, then. I think the Devils can win that one, but will miss suspended linebacker Michael Tauiliili. For fun, I'll pick Duke, 24-21, breaking the losing streak and consigning the goalposts to the pond in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. On to the real games....
Okie State at Georgia. I think the Dawgs should be scared of getting into a shootout. I think if they play a ball-control, pounding game, they'll wear down the cowpokes. But I think it will be tense until late. I'll say Georgia, 28-21.
Tennessee at Cal. I agree with Quinton that Tennessee will have a good year -- I think they can even win the SEC East. But they just have so many little questions for this game, and Cal is not a team to get well against. Coaches always say that teams improve the most between the first and second game, and I think the Vols will prove that. But line problems, receiver questions, and Erik Ainge's finger will stymie Smokey this weekend. Not to mention the sights those Vols will see in the People's Republic of Berkeley. I'm going with Cal by 31-21.
Georgia Tech at Notre Dame. It's been shocking in recent years to see how far Notre Dame has fallen in terms of pure athleticism. Where is the likes of Tim Brown? Are they not paying enough now that Lou Holtz is gone? Whatever happened, it's almost embarrassing to see Notre Dame play against a speedy, talented team like Michigan or USC or LSU. Well, mostly gleefully fun, but also a little embarrassing. We'll see if Charlie Weis goes with Demetrius Jones at quarterback to help level that playing field a bit. I think Weis is going to think too highly of his own alleged genius and do some ill-times QB platooning. I think the Irish won't get into a rhythm, and you know that the Jackets have been scouting this one ever since last year's Notre Dame win in Atlanta. Still, I think it's going to be another snoozy low-scoring affair, with Georgia Tech prevailing in the end, 21-14.