Thursday, August 31, 2006

Finally, the Season Has Arrived

The college football season officially gets under way tonight in Starkville, MS with the Cocks battling the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The game's on ESPN for those inclined to watch two middle to lower tier SEC teams play. I think this is a surprisingly compelling game. Spurrier has the hype, but does he have the players? He has a decent to good group of skill players, but the offensive line is in serious disrepair. It got worse this morning when Mr. Shiny Pants suspended a starting guard. If Mississippi State can put pressure on Blake Mitchell and not fall behind by more than six points, I think the game can go either way. Las Vegas thinks differently, as they have the Cocks as favorites by a touchdown. Mississippi State has a good shot here. Don't be surprised if they pull it out in the land of the cowbell. Surprising fact: Steve Spurrier has never defeated Mississippi State in Starkville.


The wife and I are heading to south Louisiana this weekend for a tennis tournament, but we are stopping in Baton Rouge on the way back for the LSU game. LSU is taking on the mighty Ragin' Cajuns of UL-Lafayette. The game should be a snooze fest, but I bet I see more than my fair share of wild, drunken fighting, the best kind of fighting around. For south Louisiana, this game is far more important than to us folks up north because there may be some actual divided loyalties for this game. Kathleen Blanco, our highly effective and composed governor, has already created a stir by hosting the UL-Lafayette alumni at the governor's mansion before the game. After the party, I guess she and the Cajuns are going to the game. She might have thought about staying neutral for this one, but then again she's always hanging with the winners.

Anyway, I'll have reaction from Baton Rouge and maybe some photos. I doubt the score will ever be in doubt.

The big game of the weekend in in Miami. I like FSU in this one. Yeah, I know the series history, but I don't like the suspension of Ryan Moore and Tyrone Moss. Those are two big cogs to replace. FSU wins it by a touchdown or more.

Other things I'm watching for this weekend:
1. Can Tennessee beat a top 10 opponent in Neyland for the first time since 1999?

2. How many QBs will play for Georgia?

3. How will John Parker Wilson look against the Rainbow Warriors?

4. How will Notre Dame's defense look against Calvin Johnson and the sputtering offense of Georgia Tech?

5. How bad will the new Gameday song be?

6. Can Kirk Herbstreit keep me watching the ABC primetime game despite the both overly dramatic and obvious comments of the grusome twosome, Brett Musberger AND Bob Davie?