Thursday, September 07, 2006

The View From Baton Rouge

As you might remember, I ventured to Baton Rouge this past weekend for the LSU destruction of ULL. The game went about as everybody thought it would, total domination by a vastly superior team over a college football have not. Here are a few thoughts:

1. Why do LSU fans not appreciate JaMarcus Russell? The guy is a good, bordering on great, quarterback. He makes throws that very few quarterbacks can even dream of making. Just look at last year and see how many games he came through for LSU in the clutch, Arizona State and Alabama come to mind immediately. During last year's SEC championship game, he threw a ball that went 70 yards with a simple flick of the wrist. For a moment, I thought it was a punt. He's huge and difficult to bring down. The guy should seriously consider leaving LSU for the NFL after this year. But LSU fans think Matt Flynn is better. I don't want to knock Flynn, who I'm sure is a fine quarterback, but JaMarcus Russell is a phenom. Appreciate him while you have him Tiger fans.

2. LSU played a lot of freshmen last weekend. Charles Scott ran the ball well, but the freshman that impressed me the most was Jared Mitchell. He threw two of the best blocks I have ever seen a wide out throw. One knocked a ULL defender hurtling through space and time. It took a team of trainers to restore the poor DB to consciousness. If Mitchell can catch, he'll be an All-American.

3. I saw far fewer drunken fights than I had hoped for. Actually, I had hoped for just one, but I didn't even get that. Are LSU fans mellowing?