Saturday, September 02, 2006

Weekend Picks

Saturday

California at Tennessee
I think the Vols will be better than last year, and the Cutcliffe 2.0 offense may have coalesced by now. But my guess is that (a) it will take a week to put all those pieces together at game speed; (b) I don't think UT has the defense to stop the Bears; (c) Cal won't be intimidated playing on Rocky Top; on the other hand, (d) every second Cal has a lead or stays close, the pressure will build on Tennessee. So, I'll say 31-21 Cal.

USC at Arkansas
I know it's a trap game and a tough place to play. But the Trojans are bringing a lot of talent and they finally get to play the "lack of respect" card. Remember how last year the trendy pick was for UCLA to upset USC? And how did that turn out? Different season, same song from the Song Girls. I'd say 38-21 sounds about right.

Virginia at Pittsburgh
Pitt's favored here, and Wannsedt does have that manly mustache going for him. But the Wahoos always win one game a year they're not supposed to, and Pitt always loses one they're not supposed to. I say the stars align here. The Cavs will get everyone's hopes up, a bajillion dorks will call Colin Cowherd to gloat Monday. A squeaker, UVA 24-21.

Notre Dame at Georgia Tech
What an intriguing matchup. Tech has some good receivers, and the Irish secondary is suspect. But Reggie Ball is no Matt Leinart. And no way Charlie Weis hasn't spent all summer scheming for this game. And besides, isn't it Michigan State who always derails the Irish march to the national championship? Tech keeps it close for a while, but some big late plays from Brady Quinn let the Irish pull away and make the score more respectable, 35-21.

Rutgers at North Carolina
Every time I think of the Scarlet Knights, I recall a scene from college. Several of us were sitting around and taking turns on a college football video game. My friend Lars was scrolling through Division I, trying to pick a team to use. As he scrolled through the R's, I said, "How 'bout Ruttigers?" Quickly came the response, "How 'bout nottigers?" That's kind of how I always feel about them. I don't know if I have ever picked them in a game. I think they're probably a better team than the Tar Holes, but I'll give UNC the edge at home. Say, 24-17. Could go either way, though.

Utah at UCLA
I don't really know anything about either team, but this guy is so excited about UCLA it's contagious. So I'll just blatantly steal from Stewart Mandel and say 31-28 UCLA.

Stanford at Oregon
There's a reader out there who will stab me in the eye with an icepick if I pick against the Ducks. Since I like seeing, I'll say Oregon 222, Stanford 0.

Sunday

Memphis at Ole Miss
Can anyone else tell I'm running out of things to say about teams I haven't seen play? Memphis lost that running back from last year, right? Good enough for me. Rebels, 28-17.

Monday

Florida State at Miami
I really hesitate to pick FSU to beat Miami at night in Coral Gables. But, FSU has a good defense, Miami has suspended two of its offensive stars (and another reciver and a linebacker) for this game, Miami will surely be dealing with the aftereffcts of all that coaching turnover since last season, and like I predicted below, I think this is Bobby Bowden's turn to have one of those "the old man can still get it done" years. I'll go out on a limb and say FSU by 24-21.