Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The View From Oxford

Well, all the myths are true. Oxford was a great place to go for a road game. The town square, the food, the coeds, the fans, the tailgating all lived up to the considerable hype. The wife and I had a great time before the game, attending the "Walk of Champions" and seeing the band belt out all the greatest hits of the '60s, the 1860's that is. Oxford is my favorite SEC West venue and I highly recommend the trip.

The game, however, was a different story. While I was among good people (Paul and Dawgnoxious sat in front of us), I was not among good football. The Dawgs have a ways to go before they are worthy of their ranking. Evidently, every college football writer agrees with me judging by the weekend wrap ups I've seen. Our offensive line struggles at times to open running lanes, our receivers can't catch, and our playcalling is sometimes unexplainable. There are some deep flaws to this Georgia team. Are they good enough to beat Tennessee this weekend? I say they are, but they will need to improve a great deal. The Vols look to be a complete team with a capable offense and a normal, stiff UT defense. If UGA doesn't play well, this game could get out of hand.