Monday, October 09, 2006

The View From Tuscaloosa

BAMA! I had a good time, maybe too much of a good time, this weekend in Tuscaloosa. The game atmosphere was fine, considering the opponent, King Bee's Dukies. I went to the Bear Museum, Dreamland, and tailgated in style with the Tiffin Motorhome Company (I did not mention kickers, but did root for Arkansas). The game was amusing as Bama struggled early. One Bama fan was often overheard screaming, "This is Duke, Duke for God's sakes." After trailing at the half, Bama took over and won 30-14.

The night took a dramatic turn for the worse when I left the Bama game and headed back to the RV for the Georgia game. When I arrived, the Dawgs were up 24-7. 24-7, ahead by 17 points. At that point the wheels officially came the hell off. Thanks to Georgia turnovers, special teams, inability to block, inability to cover, inability to apply pressure, etc., etc., etc. the Viles came back to hang 51 points on Georgia. 51 points. I'm mad just looking at that number. Actually, I want to throw up looking at it. The only guy to score more points on Georgia in Sanford Stadium was Mr. Shiny Pants on one of the worst days in the history of the universe. Disgusting.

I wanted to tell myself at the beginning of the year that this might not be a rebuilding year at UGA. Those hopes are dashed. We're 8-4 this year and are heading to Memphis, Tampa, Nashville, or Shreveport.

LSU - The LSU fans are despondent. One told me today that he will never step foot into Tiger Stadium again. They'll be back up after they beat Kentucky by 60 and then back down after Tennessee beats them by 10. I don't get this LSU team. They can't run. Their defense looks frightening at times and then stuff like this happens in big games. It's mystifying.

On a related subject, Tim Tebow is a witch. I woke up in a cold sweat last night thinking of Jacksonville.

Other random thoughts: Kudos to the University of Oregon for drawing attention to North Korea's imminent nuclear tests by wearing glow in the dark uniforms Saturday. Fittingly, the Ducks melted down against Cal. Tommy Tuberville tempted fate and fate bit. Georgia Tech came back big to beat Maryland. It must have been because of the intimidating atmosphere at Grant Field.