Monday, April 02, 2007

I'm Happy Basketball Is Over

Once, I really loved college basketball. The players were fun. They weren't separated from the fans by great distances, facemasks, or hats. The crowd is right on top of the action. I still enjoy the game, but when every good player leaves after one year, it's not as much fun. So, here are my top reasons why I'm glad to see basketball go.

1. The last two minutes. Is there a more exciting and frustrating two minutes in sport? Basketball games are usually a consistent two hours. You know you aren't making a big time commitment, but those last two minutes, filled with constant fouls and time outs, seem to take forever. Only a buzzer beater makes it worth it.

2. My team broke my heart. I really thought Georgia was going to make the tournament this year. We seemed to have a solid nucleus of players and a demanding schedule. Three things kept us from dancing, Mike Mercer's knee, a collapse in Tuscaloosa, and an inexcusable loss to Western Kentucky at home. Levi Stukes should not have missed the Kentucky game, but I honestly didn't think there was much hope then anyway.

3. My bracket is ruined. Damn you Kansas.

4. Baseball is here. Baseball just seems like a happier game. The sun is shinning, the grass is green, the ball cracks off a bat rather than pounds on a hard floor. Baseball is more quiet, more peaceful. Plus, baseball announcers always seem more professional, less likely to scream or spout out a stream of uncontrolled gibberish.

5. I Dislike Gator Success. I don't need to explain this one.