Saturday, September 22, 2007

Week 4 Picks

I sincerely apologize to (both) readers of The Wishbone for not filing picks last week. I've started a new job and find time at a premium. I'm especially upset that I missed my chance to pick Duke's first win in 22 games. The Devils trek up to Annapolis this weekend to play Navy. CNNSI's Stewart Mandel is picking Duke to start a win streak. We'll see, but I hope it happens. And I hope the celebrations goes more smoothly the next time Duke wins. After last week's win over Northwestern, students busted into Wallace Wade Stadium and tore down the goalposts. In the ensuing chaos, a student got konked on the noggin with the uprights. She's doing okay, though, and has a great story to tell.

Okay, moving on to this week's games, I haven't had time to do a ton of research, so please don't rely on these picks for your wagering advice. You've been warned.

Georgia at Alabama. I'm really torn on this one. I could see it going either way. I do like Georgia's defense, at least more than Arkansas's last week. But I'm confused by all this business about Mark Richt closing practice. They can't get too paranoid about Bama. It'll be tough enough to play there; the Dawgs don't need to pucker up worrying about Saban's spies. I think Saban will beat them fair and square, but close, so I'll say Alabama, 24-23, on a Leigh Tiffin field goal.

Oh, by the way, Paul at the Georgia Sports Blog linked to this awesome profile of Larry Munson. I wonder if they'll bury him next to Uga some day. I know that sounds kind of ridiculous, but on the other hand, doesn't a dog mausoleum inside the stadium sound a little crazy until someone actually does it? If anybody would bury their announcer under the hedges, it's Georgia.

South Carolina at LSU. Unlike Lee Corso, I think Spurrier can win the SEC at USC. And I know that the Tigers are a different ball club in the daytime. But they just have too much talent for the Cocks. LSU, 35-10.

Penn State at Michigan. Yes, Notre Dame really is that bad. Penn State, 35-14.

Kentucky at Arkansas. Maybe the most enjoyable game, especially if you don't care who wins. I don't. But I think Alabama showed that a good passer can beat the Hogs, and Andre' Woodson is that. I'm calling for Kentucky to win a road SEC game, 42-31.

Michigan State at Notre Dame. Yes, Notre Dame really is that bad. Michigan State, 28-7.

Duke at Navy. The winning streak continues! Maybe Duke will win enough games for Spurrier to give them an in-season vote in his Top 25 poll! Okay, I won't hold my breath. But I will pick Duke to nip the Middies, 21-17.