Saturday, September 29, 2007

Week 5 Picks

I gotta go see a man about a thing at the place...so I won't add a lot of my musings. On to my picks.

Cal at Oregon. For some reason, I don't see this as the 100-point shootout everyone else does. I think the Bears and Ducks will play a tad of defense. But still, Oregon at home, 34-27.

Michigan State at Wisconsin. I don't have any inside info from my friend at MSU. But the Big Ten looks awful this year (exhibit A: Illinois being picked to beat Penn State by Mandel and Feldman and SMQ), and neither of these 4-0 teams impress me much. I'm calling for Sparty to get the road upset at calling it Michigan State, 24-14.

Auburn at Florida. Speaking of not impressed, Tubs's seat must be heating up. Florida big, like 35-10.

Clemson at Georgia Tech. Clemson loses a game like this every year, just as surely as the Wreck wins one like this just about every season. So of course everyone is picking the Tigers, to be contrary and go against that grain. Plus, Clemson has that great backfield. But Tech's defense will bend but not break. Mild upset here, Georgia Tech, 24-21.

Alabama v. Florida State (at Jacksonville). Ivan Maisel had a nice piece about Bobby Bowden's affection for the Alabama program. I doubt he has as much devotion to Nick Saban. I'm calling for another low-scoring game. I'll say Alabama, 13-10. But it should be neat to watch.